Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thanksgiving Day Placecards!

Hey Everyone! Happy Thursday to all! Only 1 day left till my favorite day of the week! We all know what day that is. But enough about that, I have a fun project for you all. I was busy browsing the web today looking for Thanksgiving themed craft projects. I came across a tutorial on placecards. I figured I could make a few and see how it turns out. Well, I was pleased with the final result. Once I figured out how I wanted these to look, it took no time at all to put together. But I'll let you be the judge. Here's the pic for your perusal:





















                       Aren't they cute?! I think these would make a lovely addition to our holiday table.
                                       Here's another pic for you to check out;


I really love how these turned out. It may look complicated but it's pretty simple.

I took a 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of rust colored cardstock and cut it in half along the 8 1/2" side. By doiing this, I was able to get two pieces that measure 4 1/4 x 11". I then cut it in half again at the 11" side to get 4 pieces measuring 4 1/4 x 5 1/2". I then folded the pieces in half and used my bone folder to give it a crisp edge. After all the cutting and folding, I wound up with a placecard that measures 4 1/4 x 2 1/2". Now, you can customize the size of your placecard depending on how you cut your cardstock. You can make it bigger or smaller to suit your needs. For an added touch, I used my Threading Water punch to punch this decorative edge. And that gives me the starting base for my placecard.

For the white layer, I cut a piece of cardstock at 1 3/4 x 4". I used my 1" circle punch to cut the corners, inked the edges with a brown inkpad and adhered it to the base. For the embellishments, I turned to my favorite faux cardstock "Paint Chips". I call it "faux cardstock" cause you can find these in an array of colors to suit your crafting needs, plus, they're FREE! That's a value I can live with. :) I used them to punch out this 1" brown circle and for this layered curly label. It gives the placecard a pop of color. The curly label I cut from a holiday Cricut cartridge that I own and used the negative to cut a smaller label to layer on top of.  It looks cool but it doesn't really line up the way it should. But since we're not going away for Thanksgiving, I don't think the family will care much. That's something to keep in mind for the next time I make these.

The layered curly labels and 1" circles were glued directly to the base. I made small pumpkins to go on top of the circles. To make these, I cut 6, 1" ovals from my George and Basic Shapes cartridge out of orange cardstock. ( I did this step for all four of the pumpkins). I then folded the 6 ovals in half and glued them together to form a pumpkin shape. The edges of these pumpkins were inked using the same brown inkpad as before. For the stems, I cut a piece of green cardstock at 1/4 " and added it to the base. To finish off the placecards, I added a gold embroidery floss tied in a knot towards the bottom. And for the inside, I used a gold striped ribbon for added contrast against the punched border.  A few brads on either corner of the white layer and all that's left is to add the names. And ta-da,  my Thanksgiving Day placecards are complete!

I hope you all enjoyed this project. I really had a blast making these. I have a few other projects for the table planned and I hope to post those soon. I will end this post here and wish you all a good evening and Peace!! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It Button