Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

"Distressed Wood Plaque!! "

Hey Everyone!! Happy "Hump" Day!! I hope your day is off to a great start! For today's post, I have a project to share using a wood plaque.
It's been a while since I did an actual "craft" project,.
But when hubby brought home this plaque, I knew I had to use it for something.
Well, this plaque has been sitting on my craft desk for two months.
That's two months of trying to figure out what I actually wanted to do.
Last month, I was able to paint, distress and mod podge a tissue paper text on top.
But that was as far as I got.

It's funny but the night before an idea popped into my head on how I wanted this plaque to look.
And yesterday I was able to put it all together for the final result you see here.
This vintage style of crafting is certainly outside of my comfort zone.
 But every once and in awhile, you have to try different techniques and styles to challenge yourself.
I think this plaque came out nice but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Here's the pic for your perusing pleasure:



This is a 3 x 5" wood plaque.
I painted it using two shades of blue acrylic paints in Ocean Cruise and China Blue.
I sanded the edges of the plaque to give it a distressed look.
I then mod podged a piece of printed text tissue paper on top.
I smoothed out the wrinkles being careful not to tear the paper.
I set it aside and let it dry overnight.

For the little girl image, I printed a vintage postcard from thegraphicsfairy.com.
I cut the image out and added some Creamy Caramel ink from Stampin Up to the sides and top.
I wanted to give the image a more distressed, vintage look.
I took a white heart doily, cut out sections of it, inked it with the Creamy Caramel ink and added it to my image.
I dressed up the edge using some pearls from Recollections.
I also added a few pearls to her hair and used linen thread to give the appearance that she is wearing a headband.
I used foam tape to attach the image to the plaque.

For the top of the plaque, I used another doily section I cut, inked it with Creamy Caramel and used Glossy Accents to adhere it down.
I cut a few 1" strips of light pink cardstock to create the flowers.
The butterflies were cut from a patterned paper I found in the "Rosewood" ColorBok 12 x 12" pack.
I glued the middles of the butterflies down and propped the wings for a 3D effect.
For the stems and leaves, I used some green crepe paper and a leaf punch to create this look.
Finally, I scattered a few pearls here and there to finish it off.

And voila! plaque complete!!


I hope you all enjoyed this project for today!
I had a lot of fun creating it.
I decided to enter this project into the Simon Says Stamp Monday Distress Challengesimonsaysstampblog.com.
I hope you all enjoy the rest of your day!
Peace!! :)






Pin It Button