Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

"Crafting, Birthdays and Frozen"?!

Hey Everyone!! Happy T.G.I.F!! Woo Hoo!! So glad that Friday is finally here!
First off, let me start this post off by apologizing for being away from my blog this week. I have been busy working on Design Team projects, getting ready for my daughter's upcoming birthday and trying to take some time for me to recharge the creative juices. Phew! I've also been working on a Top Secret project for my baby, who'll be turning 6 (omg!!) next week. Let's just say I've been a busy crafter.
Thank goodness, we opted to take her out for her birthday instead of a party. We went all out for her princess themed party last year but it did involve a lot of late night crafting. So at least the pressure is of there. It's hard for me to believe that my baby is turning 6 already! Seeing your child grow up is one of the saddest and happiest times of your life. Sigh!

 Anyway, let's get back to this mysterious Top Secret project I mentioned earlier.
My mission: Create Paper Doll canvasses featuring the stars of Disney's Frozen Anna & Elsa.
Objective: Use a variety of techniques and materials to bring these characters to life.
Goal: To have these canvasses done before Friday.

Now, you may be asking yourself, "Where did the idea for this project come from?"
My answer: YouTube!
I recently came across some Doll Canvas tutorials featuring a talented artist by the name of Julie Nutting, who designs stamps and papers for Prima.
I loved how she used her stamps to create paper dolls to add to canvas and use as a wall hanging.
It was during the watching of her tutorial that the Aha! moment struck me.
My daughter loves the Frozen movie and I took both my girls to see a while back.
Now, she has a princess themed bedroom with a castle door facade as a headboard and wall stickers featuring the princesses. I thought the paper doll canvasses featuring Queen Elsa and Princess Anna would make a nice addition.
With my mind made up, I set to work on finding a good image to work from.
First stop of course was Pinterest!

Here"s the pic of Elsa I found to make my doll from:



And here is the doll I created based on this pic:


To create it, I first divided the pic into sections that I could cut and piece out of different colors of cardstock.



I traced the head, neck and hands onto white cardstock using the stencils I created.
I used acrylic paints to color them in, inked the edges with a light brown inkpad and used a brown marker to cover up the white that was showing.
I traced her hair and braid in the same manner and pieced it together to give it dimension.
A few extra strands to frame the face and a few snowflakes in the braid completes the look.


For her dress, I used a blue metallic cardstock from ColorBok.
I cut the bodice and the skirt separately from the cardstock.
I used an embossing folder to create the pattern in the bodice and a stylus to create the folds and pleating in the skirt.
I used Glossy Accents to put the two pieces together.
I cut a scrap of vellum to create the sheer sleeves you see from the pic.
All that was left to do was put it all together.

And ta-da!! Doll complete!

I hope you enjoyed this project for today.
Enjoy your T.G.I.F and have a great weekend!! 
Peace!! :)



  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It Button