Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Frog, A Slider Card and a New Design Team, Oh My!!

Hey Everyone!! Happy "Hump" day to you all!! I hope your Wednesday was off to a fabulous start! My days have been super busy lately, with back to school right around the corner. My girls and I have been trying to cram in as much swimming time as we can before next week. Plus, I've been taking my first Online Card Class and having a blast with that. I 've been learning some new tricks and techniques and I hope to be sharing some of my creations with you all soon. The instructors are fabulous and I would love to be able to enroll in another class when this one is over.

Before I get too off track, onward to today's project.
I created my very first ever slider card featuring this adorable "Hip Hop Froggie" image from Kitty Bee Designs.
I am excited to announce that I am the newest member of their fabulous Design Team and this card is part of my first DT Spotlight, which is up now on the Kitty Bee Designs blog.
Here are the pics of the final card for you to check out:






When I saw this image, I knew I wanted to create a slider card to make this little guy jump up in the air.
I watched a ton of videos on You Tube on how to create this, but I eventually combined a few techniques to achieve the final result.

To begin, I started by printing the image onto white cardstock.
I used a combo of Bics and Copics to color him in.
Here is a rundown of the colors I used:

- Skin- YG03, Margarita Green and Key Lime
- Belly- C01, C03
- Heart and mouth- Rambunctious Red, Honey Brown
- Spots- Forest Green and Honey Brown
-Eyes- B32

I used a white gel pen to add a few highlights to the image.
Then I cut it out, leaving a 1/8" white border all the way around.
I set it aside to work on the rest of the card.

The card base is a 5 x 11 1/2" sheet of dark brown Kraft cardstock.
I scored the cardstock at twice at 5 3/4" and I was left with a 1" strip.
Once I had the cardstock scored, I set it aside to finish up the other elements for this card.

I cut a sheet of watercolor paper to 4 1/2" x 5 1/2".
I wanted to create a background scene for my frog.
I used my Recollections watercolor markers in Light Blue and Turquoise to paint the sky and the water.
Once dry, I used my Distress Markers in Shabby Shutters and Victorian Velvet to add some grass and a water lily.
After all the water coloring was done, I used my ATG to adhere it to the card base.

To create the sliding mechanism, I cut a vertical line through the watercolor and cardstock layers with my Xacto knife.
I cut a notch at the top with a circle punch, and added a 1 x 3" strip, that had adhesive on one side and a foam square on the other.
I cut a piece of white cardstock to 4 1/2 x 5 1/2" and attached it to the adhesive side of the strip.
I added some more adhesive to the leftover strip of the card base and folded it up, so that the white cardstock layer was on the inside.

For the outside of the card, I attached my frog image to the foam square side and checked to make sure that both pieces slid up easily.

Quick Tip: The 1 x 3" strip is what attaches your image and sentiment together.
When pulled straight up, the image and sentiment should slide up at the same time.
Just remember that the foam square and adhesive you use, are all you need to make this card work.

To finish up the card, I cut out a lily pad for the frog to rest on, a few flies, for when he's hungry and my sentiments.
I used my handwriting and a Pigma Micron pen and brush to write the sentiments on the front and inside of the card.

And ta-da!! slider complete!!

I hope you enjoyed this project for today!!
Sorry if it was a long one but I wanted to make sure I documented the steps that went into the making of this card.
Thanks for stopping by, enjoy the rest of your day and Peace!! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It Button