Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Ceramic Tile Napkin Holder!!

Hey Everyone!! I hope you all had a great weekend! For this post today, I have another ceramic tile project that I colored with my Bic MarkIt markers. I wanted to try coloring in a stamped image on tile using alcohol markers because I got good results using alcohol inks in the past.
But this proved to be quite a challenge, given the fact that Staz On is the best ink for tile stamping, but reacts with alcohol markers. I normally don't have an issue when I'm stamping on cardstock, only because I make sure to heat set the ink before coloring.
Heat setting the ink before coloring it in did not work for this tile project.
As soon as I started to color the image in, the ink started to run into my marker, which left me with black streaks on the nib.
Of course this was an easy fix, I just scribbled the marker on a scrap piece of paper to clean it off.
But I was still left with the dilemma of the ink reacting with the alcohol.
Thankfully Hubby gave me the idea to try sealing the tile with a clear acrylic spray before coloring.
I was a little apprehensive and frustrated by this point but I figured what did I have to lose.
 If it didn't work, back to the drawing board.
Luckily it worked.
Well I've gone on long enough, here's the pic for you to check out:


For this napkin holder, I used three 4 x 4" ceramic tiles.
I stamped my flower and butterfly images on two of the tiles with Staz On Jet Black ink.
I then sprayed a thin coat of clear acrylic sealer and let it dry for 20 minutes.
Once dry, I used my Bic Mark It markers to color in the images.
Here is a rundown of the colors I used:

- Flowers- Pink Flamingo, Fandango Pink
- Stems- Key Lime
- Flower Centers- Yellow Blaze, Summer Melon
- Butterfly- Yellow Blaze, Summer Melon, Sunset Orange

Once I had the images colored, I sponged a light blue ink for the background and sealed the tile with another coat of the clear acrylic spray.

For the third tile, I stamped a leaf border and sponged some more of the light blue ink to match.
I then sealed the tile with acrylic spray and set it aside to dry.
Hubby added a small block of wood, that I covered with a pink striped paper, to the center of the tile using TiteBond adhesive.
I used the same adhesive to attach the stamped tiles to either side of the wood block.
I then set it aside to dry to give the adhesive time to dry.
Lastly, add your napkins to your new napkin holder.

And voila!! project complete!!

I hope you enjoyed this project for today!
Enjoy the rest of your day and Peace!! :)


*This post is part of the Party Time Tuesdays blog: partytimetuesdays.blogspot.com, where you can find great challenges every Tuesday and inspirational posts from our fellow DT members. Make sure to stop by the Party Time Tuesdays blog and check it out!! :)*





Pin It Button